Thursday, November 29, 2007

Alan’s 27th Birthday

I’ve been lying to my boyfriend, Alan, for the last 5 or 6 weeks (well, I was; his birthday is now over so this is past tense). No, it’s not that I’ve been cheating on him, or wishing he would change… I’ve been lying to him about his birthday. I’ve been playing dumb, skirting the issue, and flat out lying that there was to be a party, gifts, or anything of the sort. On Friday, finally, all the weight was lifted.
Behind his back I planned a Poker Tournament / Birthday party, inviting his close friends from pool, curling and work. They all arrived at the house by 6:15 on Friday night. However, while they were arriving at our apartment, I was out at Alan's office "stalling" him (no, it's not what you think... dirty buggers...)


I stalled Alan by taking him out for a “beer” (Alan actually ordered a very fruity margarita) and we were home by 7pm. The house was dark and when I opened the door it took a while before anyone said anything. Then, from the black room – “Surprise”. Alan was, from what I could tell, nothing short of stunned. When we turned on the light he was surprised to see so many people, not only there for his birthday, but crammed into our tiny little one bedroom apartment.

Brian, a guy from our curling team, cooked dinner for us – meatballs, sausages, pasta and salad. It was a big hit. It also left a ton of dishes, but that’s all part of it, I guess. Every single one of my dish towels was used in the arrangement of the meal, and my decorative one is stained but it’s all for a good cause, right?

The poker was a huge hit. 11 people played in all. I’m proud to say that yet again, I was in the top 4. I went all in with Owen (or rather he and I both went all in at the same time) and we both lost. So, we came in 3rd place together, but on a technicality (he had more chip value than I did) he was third place and I was a measly 4th. But, I can’t complain, I still beat the birthday boy! Ha ha…

The rest of the weekend was rather relaxing. We did some furniture shopping on Saturday and found a table and chair set that we love from Jerome’s. We found a 3 seater sofa too but we’ll wait to get that until after Christmas, perhaps. On Sunday we went to U-Haul and rented a 4x5x4’ storage space for all the stuff that’s cluttering up our closet. It’s only $20 a month so I can hardly complain. If it’ll give me more space in my closet rather than tripping over everything (and chipping a day old pedicure… grumble grumble grumble…)

So, a big thanks to everyone who came out for Alan’s party. Enjoy the photos! A big thanks to Kathy who took the photos of the big night (she’s not in any photos… she was on the wrong side of the camera!)

As of today, only 11 more sleeps until MY happy birthday! Woot woot!!!

1 Comments:

At 7:38 AM, Blogger Sondra said...

HAPPY (belated) BIRTHDAY ALAN!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home